2nd Call for applicants – Closed
Experienced Researcher vacancy in SANITAS. Title of individual research project: “Decision support systems and qualitative modelling in Urban Water System” (University of Girona – SPAIN)
SANITAS – (Marie Curie Initial Training Network) – invites applications for one full-time position of Experienced Researcher (ER) at LEQUIA research group (Laboratory of Chemical and Environmental Engineering) from University of Girona (SPAIN), to implement an individual research project (IRP) on “Decision support systems and qualitative modelling in Urban Water System”. Duration of appointment: 18 months
1. About this vacancy (ER1)
The selected researcher will implement one of the SANITAS individual research projects focused on decision support systems and qualitative modelling in UWS at Lequia research group – University of Girona (Spain). The research objective is to develop decision support systems and qualitative models for risk assessment of design and operational problems in UWS.
Description of work and research methodology: There are still many operational problems of the UWS, mainly phenomena of biological nature (microbial population imbalances or inappropriate operating conditions), which cannot be predicted adequately by general and validated deterministic models due to lack of sufficient mechanistic understanding of the underlying kinetics and population dynamics. These complex UWS phenomena can be described by integrating linking numerical models and knowledge–based systems, which allow for management and active use of heuristics and qualitative knowledge related to these problems. In terms of methodology, the complex UWS operational problems to be modelled with qualitative models will be identified. Then the knowledge for the qualitative risk assessment models of UWS problems will be formalized by means of decision trees. Next, the implementation will be carried out, together with the development of a new set of specific indices. At last, the potential of these models will be demonstrated for the simulation–based evaluation of a number of different UWS control strategies and scenarios.
2. Eligibility criteria
- Nationality: Nationals from any country may apply
- Mobility: at the time of the recruitment, the researcher must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.), in the country of the chosen host institution for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the date of the recruitment.
- Research category: Experienced Researchers (ER): researchers who, at the time of recruitment 1) possess less than 5 years (full time equivalent) of research experience and 2) are already in possession of a doctoral degree, independently of the time taken to acquire it or 3) have at least 4 years of research experience (full time equivalent) after obtaining the degree which formally allows them to embark in doctoral studies in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country where the Individual Research Project IRP is implemented. IMPORTANT: In any case researchers must have less than 5 years of research experience at the time of the recruitment, from the time they obtained the degree that allows them to embark in a PhD programme.
3. Profile of the candidate:
For this position we are looking for researchers with academic background in environmental engineering and experience in modelling of wastewater treatment systems. Experience in knowledge management and knowledge-based system are will be an asset.
4. Duration of appointment: 18 months, starting on the 1st of October 2012
Living allowance: 58.500,00EUR/year. Note that this is the TOTAL cost of a researcher per year and includes gross salary and social security taxes. This amount is adjusted (by a country correction factor) for country of host institution.
Mobility allowance: 700 euros/ month for researchers with no family and 1000 euros/month for researchers with a family (married or children in their support).
6. How to apply
Application must be completed entirely online and will include:
- Application form
- Curriculum Vitae (Mandatory. Europass format highly recommended)
- 2 recommendation letters (Highly recommended)
IMPORTANT: No copies of diplomas or other supporting documents are necessary at this stage. However, please note that shortlisted candidates will be required to provide with certified copies of their degrees before the interview.
7. Recruitment calendar
- Deadline for applications: June 30th, 2012
- Interviews with selected candidates (by Skype): to be agreed with each candidate.
8. General evaluation criteria
- Educational background
- Previous research experience, relevant to the position.
- Language skills. A good level of English is compulsory.
- Networking and communication skills (to be evaluated in the interview)